Ideas for when you when can’t step away from your problem
Illustrator Marc Johns likes to go for a walk or do dishes to relax his mind, but when that’s not possible and he needs to push through a creative block, he tries one of five things:
- Instead of coming up with one solution, come up with 20.
- Shorten your deadline to 10 minutes from now.
- Put away all digital devices.
- Use different materials, like chalk, crayon, paper and pen. (if you type, write longhand; or vice-versa)
- Pretend you are a pastry chef or a pilot or a hot dog vendor (you get the idea). How do these people look at the world?
Source: Breakthrough! 90 proven strategies to overcome creative block & spark your imagination, Alex Cornell, editor.